Connecting to LinkedIn...
The Legal Counsel is part of the General Counsel's corporate legal team and will provide support to the General Counsel and Senior Legal Counsel on all nature of corporate and commercial legal matters including:
- Transactional support and advice to the business on its core activity of debt portfolio acquisitions and sales, both in the UK and other European jurisdictions;
- Providing legal support to corporate development and corporate financing activity (e.g. corporate acquisitions and bond issues) activity;
- Supporting the negotiation and execution of a variety of commercial contracts;
- Ensuring that the legislative regime and industry and best practice guidelines are adhered to;
- To liaise with law firms and other external advisers on outsourced work, both in the UK and other European jurisdictions; and
- To be an 'emergent expert' on corporate and commercial legal matters and, in this regard, ensure CPD is maintained.
- Junior/mid level qualified solicitor with a transactional corporate/banking in private practice and/or in-house environment.
- Self-starter - ability to run with less complex legal matters (including leading on smaller deals) autonomously and support the General Counsel and Senior Legal Counsel on more complex matters.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (including legal drafting).
- Proficient negotiator.
- Time management - ability to prioritise large workload in a fast-paced commercial environment.
- Effective risk management - ability to identify and mitigate risk.
- In-house legal experience in financial services (and/or debt purchasing) is an advantage.
- Experience in real estate finance or secured lending would be an advantage.
- Experience with cross border transactions would be an advantage.
- This role will come across a variety of corporate and commercial legal issues. Some may be simple whereas others will require complex legal intervention. The more complex matters will generally be dealt with by the General Counsel and/or Senior Legal Counsel with support from the Legal Counsel.
- The role is an 'emergent SME' in its field - expertise will be gained with experience.
- This role will play an important support role in facilitating closure on debt purchase transactions and other corporate development projects, so has a tangible overall organisational impact as well as a direct 'line of sight' to overall organisational objectives.
- Under the overall supervision of the General Counsel and Senior Legal Counsels, the role will be expected to lead on less complex legal matters; whilst complex matters and large corporate transactions will initially be more of a background support role, with the assumption of more responsibility for complex transactions and matters expected as part of the development of the role.
- This role will be required to interact with a variety of internal and external parties. Internally, there is a key conduit to the origination, pricing and finance teams in the closing of relevant transactions, both in the UK and other European jurisdictions in which Arrow has a presence. In addition, the role will be required to liaise with teams in Ops who will be tasked with implementing the deals. Externally, the role will interact with lawyers, accountants, debt sellers (including high street and investment banks), investment funds and other corporate advisers dependent on the nature of the legal issue.
- On the communication ladder: influencing and persuading.
- As a junior/mid level solicitor developing their legal skills, this role will generally not have any direct reports but will operate on its own within a supportive team.
- The appointee will feed into the legal spend on transactions and possibly even monitor spending levels, but will not manage the overall legal budget.
We request that candidates send their CV as a Microsoft Word document where possible.
Quest Search and Selection is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
Ref: 99924 | Published: 9 months ago